Postdoctoral research associate
School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences
University of Newcastle Australia
2308 Callaghan NSW
Office: SR Building Room 118
alejandra dot garrido at newcastle dot edu dot au
I have moved to Newcastle, Australia! This website will not be updated and will disappear in early 2019. I am working on a new one. In the meantime, my contact details can be found above. All my papers and preprints are available on the arXiv.
My main research interests lie within the broad realm of geometric group theory. I am mainly
interested in infinite groups, and study them via both algebraic methods and by viewing them as
geometric objects and exploiting the geometry or topology of the obtained spaces. The phrase that
encompasses my interests is subgroup structure, most notably of groups of (rooted) tree automor-
phisms and their relatives of dynamical origin, profinite groups, and totally disconnected locally
Since October 2018 I am a postdoctoral research associate in the Zero-Dimensional Symmetry group led by George Willis at the University of Newcastle Australia.
Between September 2016 and September 2018 I was an Alexander von Humboldt postdoctoral research fellow in Benjamin Klopsch's team at the University of Düsseldorf.
Previously I was assistante postdoctorale in Tatiana Nagnibeda's team at the University of Geneva. I defended my DPhil in June 2015 under the supervision of John Wilson and supported by
Fundación "la Caixa".
Publications & Preprints
(with J. Uria Albizuri) Pro-C congruence properties for groups of rooted tree automorphisms. Submitted. (arxiv)
(with J. Uria Albizuri) Multi-GGS-groups have the congruence subgroup property. (arxiv)
(with D. Francoeur) Maximal subgroups of groups of intermediate growth. Submitted. (arxiv)
- (with Y. Glasner and S. Tornier) Automorphism groups of trees: generalities and prescribed local actions
to appear in New Directions in Locally Compact Groups, Eds. P.E. Caprace and N. Monod, Cambridge University Press, 2018. Extended version of a talk given at the 2014 Oberwolfach Arbeitsgemeinschaft on Totally Disconnected Groups (available at arxiv)
(with G.A. Fernández Alcober and J. Uria Albizuri) On the congruence subgroup property for GGS-groups. Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. (2017) (published version) (arxiv)
- On the congruence subgroup problem for branch groups. Isr. J. Math. (2016) 216: 1, pp. 1--13. (published version) (arxiv)
- (with J.S. Wilson) On subgroups of finite index in branch groups. J. Algebra Vol. 397 (2014), pp. 32--38. (published version) (arxiv)
- Abstract commensurability and the Gupta--Sidki group. Groups Geom. Dyn. 10 (2016), 523-543(published version) (arxiv)
Where you might have seen me
- Group theory seminar, Universität Göttingen, July 2018
- CARMA seminar, University of Newcastle, February 2018
- Group actions seminar, University of Sydney, February 2018
- Operator Algebra Seminar, University of Copenhagen, January 2018
- Algebra Seminar, University of Glasgow, September 2017.
- Geometry and Analysis on Groups Research Seminar, University of Vienna, May 2017
- Seminar Algebra-Geometrie-Kombinatorik, TU Dresden, June 2017
- Oberseminar Modelltheorie, Geometrie und Gruppentheorie, Universität Münster, January 2017
- Oberseminar Gruppen und Geometrie, Universität Bielefeld, January 2017
- Pure Mathematics Colloquium, University of Lancaster, December 2015
- Groups and geometry seminar, University of Geneva, November 2015
- Algebra seminar, EHU Bilbao, June 2015
- Algebra and combinatorics seminar, ICMAT Madrid, May 2015.
- Groups and Geometry in the South East, February 2015.
- Université Catholique de Louvain, February 2015.
- Algebra seminar, Universität Leipzig, December 2014.
- Algebra seminar, Heinrich-Heine Universität Düsseldorf, December 2014.
- Group theory international webinar, organised by Stevens Institute of Technology, December 2014.
- Algebra seminar, Oxford, December 2014.
- Pure mathematics colloquium, University of Southampton, October 2014.
- Pure mathematics seminar, Royal Holloway, London, May 2014.
- Hausdorff Dimension , Royal Holloway, University of London, September 2018.
- Spectra and L2 invariants, Geneva, September 2018.
- Minicourse at Groups of intermediate growth in Seville, July 2017.
- youngGAGTA, Bilbao, June 2017.
- Maximal conditions and embeddings of profinite groups , Lincoln, June 2017.
Permutation groups workshop, Banff International Research Station, November 2016. ( Video)
XI Barcelona Weekend in Group Theory, May 2016.
Groups, graphs, action! Neuchatel, October 2015.
- Growth, Symbolic Dynamics and Combinatorics of Words in Groups, ENS Paris, June 2015. (Poster)
- Oberwolfach Arbeitsgemeinschaft on Totally Disconnected Groups, October 2014.
- Growth in groups 2014, Neuchâtel, Switzerland, June 2014. (Poster)
- Groups St Andrews 2013, St Andrews, UK, August 2013. (Talk slides )
- Locally compact groups beyond Lie theory, Spa, Belgium, March 2013. (Poster)
- Groups and their actions, Bedlewo, Poland, July 2012.
- IX Encuentro en Teoría de Grupos, Madrid, Spain, June 2012.
- Young Researchers in Mathematics, Bristol, UK, April 2012.
- Co-supervision of two Bachelor theses
- Undergraduate reading seminar Seminar Charaktertheorie endlicher Gruppen
- Assistante for final year course on Geometric and Asymptotic Methods in Group Theory
- Assistante for Analyse I
- Tutor for Travaux Pratiques (≈ weekly tutorials on Algebra, Analysis and Geometry)
- TA for third year Groups & Characters
- TA for third year Galois Theory
- College Tutor for second year Integration & Measure Theory
- College Tutor for second year Group Theory
I ran the Kinderseminar at Oxford for two years (2013--14).
The Kinderseminar is a great way for graduate students to get experience in giving seminar or colloquium-style talks,
with a friendly audience and invaluable feedback from Peter Neumann.
I organised, with Benjamin Klopsch, a workshop on Trees, dynamics and locally compact groups, which took place in Düsseldorf on 25th--29th June.
During Michaelmas Term 2013, the topic of the Advanced Algebra Class was amenability. I gave four talks and later wrote up the notes for them (comments/corrections welcome).